statcounter

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Jimmy the Tattooist, Chapel Street, 1997

This is Jimmy the Tattooists shop on the upper floor of 13 Chapel Street.

Jimmy Gould was a world famous inker  who started in business with another legend Terry Wrigley in the  1960s.

From what I can gather they were itinerant tattooists moving around the coastal resorts of the UK until they opened a parlour in the Trongate area of Glasgow around 1965.

After about a year Jimmy moved to Blackpool and quickly established a solid reputation as an artist with the needle. Below you can see some images which  were displayed on the shutters of the shop beneath.

Over the years his reputation spread across the UK and the world, eventually having his designs collected by the Tattoo Museum as exhibits of fine works of the craft. See how different they are from today's often generic works.


Reported to be something of a man of mystery he travelled a lot in the closed season although apparently he never liked to be too specific as to the actual locations.

At some point  he ran a parlour in Brazil and became well known in Bangkok, attracting crowds when he would visit the local tattooists.

In 1989 the BBC made a program about the Wakes Weeks in Blackpool - the traditional two week break when the factories closed down. You can see it below. Scroll forward to the 7min 7 second mark and you can glimpse Jimmy working. Note also the sign stating 'We do not tattoo lads hands, necks or bums'!.




Sadly, Jimmy died in 2004, but there was a lovely obituary in the Blackpool  Gazette in which he was described as 'inspirational' and a 'guru'.

Jimmy's parlour went shortly after as well and now appears to be a flat above a cafe. 



His legacy lives on today however, with his snake design setting the standard for contemporary tattoo illustrations.

9 comments:

  1. Sandra Pounder7 March 2013 at 14:39

    Hi Si May I say how much I am enjoying your blogs & Pics since you joined Blackpool Past!!
    I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy when I was quite young, I started work on the Golden Mile at the age of 9 in 1959 at my Aunties Rock Stall near the waxworks! Jimmy's parlour was then in Bonny Street well before the Police station was built, because all us locals were a little community I met him when I got to about 16 I asked in all innocence how much was a tattoo of a little rose on my upper arm? His reply was it doesnt matter how much it is Sandra because I'm not doing it!!!!! Nice girls don't have tattoos & I don't want you hating me one day!!!! Bit different today Eh That guy was one of natures TRUE gentlemen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for posting this. Jimmy was my Uncle and was in a long term relationship with my Aunty Yvette (Dad's sister). Living in Australia, I didn't know them very well, but before Yvette passed away I got her express permission for my Husband to have some of Jimmy's artwork tattooed on him by an artist here in Perth whose studio they had visited back in the 80s. It's a shame we couldn't have it done by Jimmy himself, but it's nice to have it.

    Kell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just found this...Jim was married to my Mums sister Yvette and I remember the shop well, gosh the stairs were steep..have photos of our son in there as a toddler...I also remember fondly the wooden cabin on New Bonney Street...seemed so mysterious to me as a child...what was going on behind the screen. I have the mask you can see on the wall...and many more from Bets home and I miss them both dearly, the video is a bitter sweet reminder, thank you, Martine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monique or Richard Gould, if you are reading this please contact me; Ray Spencer 07766 522688 - (Jimmy's brother-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across this blog today whilst looking for Jimmy's daughter Monique or grandson Richard, and decided to add my bit. I am married to Lorraine, who was the sister of Jimmy's wife (Yvette), The first time that I met Jimmy I was 17 (1965) when he kicked me out of his shop for asking him to remove a tattoo that I had done in Honolulu. The next time was about 5 years later whilst I was dating Lorraine when Jimmy and Yvette were having a party at their Abbotsford Road house. One could say that he was a little weird, or be truthful and say a lot weird. On the other hand he was an interesting guy with what could have been an ideal lifestyle; tattooing 'grockels' during the summer and then spending November to May in either Brazil or Bali or somewhere else just as exotic such as the 'captain's' yacht in the Caribbean. When he died it was the end of an era for Blackpool and for me as I had known him for about 40 years. I ended up with his dragon chair and the large sign from outside his shop; my daughter ended up with the tattooed lady picture (that was NOT modelled on Yvette) that featured on his cards etc, I could write a lot more, but then it would get boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We run a tattoo shop in Glasgow and both these names are well known, this is a really cool post and its good to get some background info on these very well known tattoo legends. I also went to Blackpool when i was young and can remember the shops well. Seems like a long time ago now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a tattoo by Jimmy in 76 a swallow that cost me a fiver, which was a lot of money back then. I was 15 years old ! I remember jimmy didn’t say much to me, only asking where I was from... Stoke-on-Trent I told him. Then he told me he knew Gentle John my local tattooist who tattooed in Hanley. Happy memories ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 6 tattoos by Jimmy, done 1969/70 5 are cover jobs hiding some really awful indian ink rubbish. I originally went in for a look, and got a small eagle done, if memory serves it cost me 10/6 (52 and half pence). He noticed my handiwork and said he could cover some of them, it was pre-season in Blackpool his studio was quiet, so he got to work on my arms, it took several visits over 2 pre-seasons. A couple of years later I was amazed to see him on TV.....interviewed on Michael Parkinson show. He was a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first met Jimmy late 1960s early 1970s he did about 8 tattoos including a big Eagle with a snake on my chest the the colour is still as good today the was in a wooden building with a cafe next door now 5⁰ years later I still get tattoos for my birthday happy days

    ReplyDelete