statcounter

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Public Toilets on Central Drive 1997

These were the old 1930s toilets on Central Drive, just in front of Coral Island. 

If I recall correctly they were designed with a glass roof to illuminate the interior. They also had an attendant to keep it clean and keep an eye on things.

During the regeneration project they got replaced with something modern, strictly utilitarian and lacking in any kind of imagination - save for a brief nod to it's previous design. 

I suspect the attendant is long gone too.


See the Google Streetview image below. 


4 comments:

  1. Have you got any more pics of Blackpool's toilets? I heard Blackool had some massive ones that where shamefully replaced with these smaller but clean Danfos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam - Thanks for the comments. I don't think I have any more pics of the toilets. Shame really. If I knew they were shortly to disappear I would have done some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is great concern over the loss of public toilets in the UK and on youtube people such as myself film them. Old fashioned high level toilets are known to be the most popular but I doubt Blackpool has any now

      Delete
  3. Thats interesting. I have just written a piece on latrinalia - or toilet graffiti, that touches on the disappearance of public toilets, as public space becomes private etc. When it goes up I'll let you know. S

    ReplyDelete