statcounter

Thursday 17 January 2013

Thalidomide Artist 1997

I saw this guy outside the vile Hounds Hill shopping centre in 1997. He was drawing these incredibly intricate Disney characters with just his feet and selling them to shoppers. Initially I thought it was an elaborate scam, but I convinced him to show me  the stumps of his arms and he  explained that he was a Thalidomide victim - which if you are under about 40 was an anti-morning sickness drug given to pregnant women between the late 1950s and early 60s.

Thalidomide had the terrible side effect of grossly disfiguring the unborn children, many of whom died in early infancy.

The survivors fought a long battle against the manufacturers and distributors to get compensation for their disabilities.

I gave him a pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment