statcounter

Saturday 12 January 2013

Trevor's Supermarket, Ribble Road, 1998





Why are these children crying? I have no idea, but  it must have held some interest for me to take a picture.

This is on Ribble Rd, between the college and Central Drive, and the reason I was there was to visit Trevor's - a shop of legendary status amongst students.

Actually, to call Trevor's a shop would be somewhat pretentious. It was a place where you could buy things to put in your mouth if you were skint & hungry. The first thing that struck you about the place is that it didn't have  any windows. It was boarded up with chipboard and barbed wire. It gave the appearance that  the owners  were anticipating the imminent collapse of civilisation or perhaps a zombie apocalypse. 

Once you got inside it wasn't any different. Trevor's mainly sold stuff in cans or plastic bottles  that was cheap and would last a long time if you didn't have a fridge. You could also buy a can of baked beans for 5p.

That said, the ladies on the till were always very nice to me - and it was one of the few places you could buy extra long Rizla papers.

My abiding memory of  Trevor's was meeting my friend Alex outside who'd just been to this chip shop which hired out video films. They had a very eclectic selection and on this occasion he got out a horror film about a woman with a talking vagina.

You could usually tell when someone had got a video from there because  the cases were always covered in a thick layer of chip fat which needed to be scraped off before inserting it into the video player.

You can see a picture of Trevor's as captured by Google Streetview below.

1 comment:

  1. Fond memories. I remember walking to Trevor's with my Mum and Nana in the early 80s. We lived fairly nearby and I have lovely memories of walking through the back alleyways in the sunshine. More than 30 years ago I'm sure. I remember it got very busy there. I assume it was popular with those running the boarding houses. I was really interested to discover it on Google street view and to see the exact location. I was too young to take it in at the time. Good childhood memories, anyway!

    ReplyDelete