statcounter

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Dodi Dead, Diana Critical

This was the first ever picture I took in Blackpool. It was early on the morning of the 31st August 1997 and the newspapers for some reason had not been collected. I went down to the Promenade and after about twenty minutes someone said  that Diana had died. As I made my way along to Central Pier there was a group of four people pushing and shouting at two men, who it transpired were a reporter and photographer from the local newspaper.  The group, three women and a man blamed the press for her death and looked like they were about to lynch them. The last I saw they were beating hasty retreat off the Prom.

Looking at the masthead on the Mirror which put out a 3am edition, it would have taken a lot of money and expense to keep the presses rolling through the night. Wouldn't happen now of course, with the Internet.

The following Monday a severed human head was found in a sports hold-all in the street adjacent to my new home.

Welcome to Blackpool!

No comments:

Post a Comment